Wednesday, October 21, 2009

16 Weeks After ACL Reconstruction: Nike Marathon Finisher


I did it! Less than 16 weeks after ACL Reconstruction and Meniscal Repair, I ran a marathon. Yes, 26.2 miles in 5:22:06 I walked/ jogged the first 12 miles or so with my sister, who was competing in her first half marathon. Then as the full and half marathon courses separated, I said goodbye to my sis and continued onwards for 14 more miles. It was a big psychological challenge. I had to rely on will-power, determination, and faith to overcome the physical and psychological obstacles I encountered during these long miles. Remembering "Team in Training", my supporters, family, friends, co-workers helped. I dedicated these last 14 miles to my niece, Lizzy, who died earlier this year. Her memory also helped me overcome the challenges I faced. I knew that what I had to endure on race day was temporary. Unlike those battling Leukemia, Lymphoma, and other cancers, my trials and tribulations would end after a few hours. The survivors and those currently battling cancer are the real Heroes!

I was sore for a day or two, but now I've recovered and I'm already looking forward to the Rock n Roll San Antonio marathon next month.

1 comment: