Monday, June 7, 2010

11 months Post ACL Reconstruction: Alcatraz and Beyond

Knee is doing great.  I don't worry about stability.  Still gets sore after tough runs.  Speed not quite back yet.  However I am constantly pushing the envelope.  Here is my last couple weekend workouts...

Memorial Day Weekend:
Saturday: Latigo and PCH in Malibu ride 3.5 hrs, followed by 1 hour run.
Sunday: Alcatraz Challenge: 1.5 mile swim from Alcatraz to Crissy Field in SF.  ( More like a 1.7 or 1.8 mile swim for me due to the less than optimal route I took.)
Monday: Laguna Hills Half Marathon.

June 5/6 weekend:
Saturday: 5 hour ride PV-Manhattan Beach-Marina Del Rey X 2
Sunday: Rock n Roll San Diego Marathon Relay. 

The highlight of Memorial Day weekend was the Escape from Alcatraz.  I enjoyed the swim so much that my first reaction after getting out of the water was "Let's do it again."  Of course there was an initial shock to the body from the 55 degree cold water.  Then the waves caused a few unintended gulps of saltwater.  There was the occasional slaps from other swimmers.  But all in all a nice swim in cold water.  Kudos to wetsuits, neoprene caps, earplugs, and my Vibram Five Fingers.

The highlight of this past weekend was the Marathon Relay.  Teams consisted of 4 runners.  My team consisted of co-workers.  We had a Speed team and an Easy-go team.  I was on the Speed team.  I was afraid our team might not live up to its name and be a minor embarassment.  Boy, was I wrong.  We finished 3rd in the All-Men's Relay division.  And we were the 7th Overall Relay team out of almost 200 teams.
Even our Easy-go team took 10th in the Corporate division.

Our Ironteam is going on its annual San Diego 100 miler this Saturday.  Unfortunately I'll miss it.  I have another busy weekend planned however.  My sister is getting married Saturday evening.  But Saturday morning I'll be running in the Xterra Marin Headlands 21K.  This is one of the Top 10 trail runs according to Runner's World magazine.  I'll write a race report next week.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment