Wednesday, June 29, 2011

San Diego Ride, Piuma, and Vineman Training Weekend

The last 3 weeks have been a blur.  First was the San Diego 100 miler.  We rode from Anaheim to Del Mar and up past Torrey Pines to UCSD.  It was my first time and I enjoyed the ride especially through Camp Pendleton.  The next day, we had a nice long run and then returned to Anaheim via car or Amtrak.  I rode back up with some bikes in Louis' car.
The following week was a big Brick workout; we started in Westlake Village and rode up and down Piuma, followed by an out and back around Westlake Village.  Then it was a 12 mile run.
Finally this past weekend we drove up to Santa Rosa and had Vineman training weekend.  Saturday was the 2.4 mile swim in Guerneville river, followed by 112 mile bike ride on the actual Vineman course.  The swim was so pleasant.  I ended up with my fastest open water swim to date 1 hour 20 min.  Then after a quick T1, it was off on the 112 mile ride.  Unfortunately my legs immediately felt tired and heavy.  It took a good hour for the lead in my legs to fall off.  I then started getting into a groove, but as the day progressed, it got hotter and hotter.  By the second loop, I had to cool off at the aid stations by dumping water over my head and onto my cooling arm sleeves.  The second time up Chalk Hill was tough.  I just kept pedaling and finally, I sped back to Windsor High School for T2 and a quick 2.5 mile run.
The following day, it was back to Windsor High for a 21 mile run.  The morning was very pleasant and I enjoyed the scenery very much.  But after 10 miles, it started to get warm.  I just wanted to finish ASAP, before the day got too hot.  So I probably ended up running at marathon pace.  I finished the 21 miler in a little over 3 hours.  Not bad on tired legs!
The worst part of the weekend was the 8 hour drive back home to LA.  Sore butt, sore legs, sore back... Yikes!  I had to go to work on Monday and I felt like I was half asleep.  Tuesday after work, I ran 3 miles, but then I was too tired for my Tuesday swim; I ended up going to bed early after dinner.
Today, Wednesday, I finally feel recovered from Vineman Training Weekend.  I had a nice bike ride up and down the hills of PV.  I will hit the pool tomorrow.  Stay tuned for more training updates...

No comments:

Post a Comment