Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ironman # 5 Coeur D'Alene

Race Report:

I am training for IM Canada this year, so CDA was a training race.  It will be my main race for 2013, so it was also a good scouting mission for CDA 2013.  Since I'm in the midst of Ironman training, I did not taper for CDA, so my slower times probably are a factor of that and the windy, choppy conditions during the swim and bike.

Coeur D'Alene is beautiful.  I felt like I was in a National Park.  The lake looked very peaceful and serene.  I checked the water a few days before race day and it seemed cold, but tolerable.  The town is small, but has nice restaurants, bars, and cafes.  The surrounding roads and countryside are bicyclist and runner friendly.  The town seems to really support Ironman athletes.  The weather was warm, but not too hot.  We did have thunderstorms rolling through the days leading up to race day.  Perhaps because of the storms, it seemed a bit humid, but definitely not as bad as Louisville.

Race Day:

Swim: 1:54:34

This was the toughest part of the day for me.  I had been slacking off on my practice swims, concentrating on cycling and running instead.  I got a few ocean swims in, so I thought I was prepared for a nice pleasant lake swim.  I did not take into account very cold and choppy water conditions.  I started off to the far right side of the course and towards the back of the pack.  That was appropriate for me since I know I am a slower swimmer ( usually around 1:30 for 2.4 miles)  The cold water shock hit me and the mass start caused an initial "stressful" situation.  The good news is that I was able to gather myself and not panic.  It got better after the first quarter mile.  The first loop of this 2 loop swim went well.  The chop did not seem bad during this first loop.  It was frustrating though as I came on to the beach, that a few swimmers were turning to the right, towards T1 since they had finished 2 loops already!

Loop 2.  Cold and Colder.  The problem with being a slow swimmer in cold water is the negative feedback loop you get into.  The slower you are, the more time in the cold water and the colder you get as your core temp starts to drop.  The more your core temp drops, the slower your neurons fire which will slow down your mentation, your reflexes, and your muscular movements.  This leads to even slower swimming, leading to more time in the cold water and further drops in core temp....
Throw in the wind and the chop and now things get really challenging.  The chop makes it more difficult to site and see buoys.  It makes it difficult to breathe.  I swallowed quite a bit of water.  I found myself altering my stroke and raising my head out of the water in order to breathe and in order to site.  All this makes for a very slow 2nd loop.  By the time I got out of the water and into T1, my fingers were numb and I had difficulty putting on my bike gear.  This led to a 10 min T1.

Bike: 6:43:24

After getting on the bike, I still felt cold and had difficulty taking deep breaths.  I might have gotten some water in my lungs.  I didn't feel very well, but I hoped things will improve.  You go through the town of CDA and then an out and back along the lakeshore ( which also happens to be the run course).  There are a few rolling hills on the out and back. This first part you just get into your cycling rhythm and start taking in some hydration.  You go through CDA again and then you hit US 95 around mile 15.  Now it's time to get to work on this long out and back on US 95. You have a significant climb around mile 17-19 and another one at mile 23-26, but they were manageable.  Then several more rolling hills until the turnaround around mile 36.  The way out we had a significant headwind that made for tough climbing.  The good news is that it made the return trip to CDA easier and faster.  The weather was still cool during this first bike loop.  I enjoyed riding through some beautiful country.  Back into CDA there was a lot of cheering crowds and excitement.  Then it was time for the out and back along the lakeshore into Special Needs.  I sat down and ate some chips and nuts.  Took in a Gatorade G1 and some FRS.  Then it was back in the saddle again.  Go through CDA and back to US 95 for the second loop.  This time the climbs seemed much harder.  The sun was coming out and it was getting warmer as well.  You're hitting the hills at around mile 76-78 and 81-84.  Turnaround around mile 91 and I forgot to mention this during the first loop, but you hit the hills from the other side on the way back into CDA.  So you get one last big climb around mile 101-104.  Then it's a fast downhill into CDA.  Unfortunately there is a narrow section where you have to bike on the shoulder of the road and it is a no passing zone!
I felt great and had a lot of energy going into T2.  Spent 5 min and then it was time to run.

Run: 4:48:00

The run was very scenic and had a lot of crowd support.  The aid stations were well staffed and supplied.  I enjoyed the run very much and it is my favorite Ironman marathon so far.  The temp was in the low to mid 70's by now.  I tried to run in the shade whenever possible.  I used water at the aid stations to cool down.  One bad thing was they ran out of sponges very quickly.  I got a sponge at the first aid station, but all the subsequent stations ran out.  I was fine until mile 4, just the usual legs of "brick" sensation.  Around mile 4 a significant incline / uphill section begins.  At this point I had pain at the base of my right 5th toe with every step I took.  Even walking was painful.  I was sure I had a blister, but I did not want to stop.  I took more walk breaks and tried to put less pressure on my right foot by altering my gait.  I also prayed the rosary.  This has been something I do during my marathons and prior Ironman races.  It usually helps me ignore pain and discomfort and distracts me from the monotony of running "endless" miles.  It took a while, but it worked.  My foot pain was gone by mile 12.  I was actually able to start running again, and walking just the aid stations and the steep inclines.  The run course is 2 loops, with special needs around mile 13.  I again had chips, Gatorade G1, FRS, and Peanut Butter GU.  I ran a negative split during this 2nd loop.  The last 4 miles I imagined running with my daughter who is on her High School XC and Track team.  If anyone overheard me talking to my imaginary running partner during those last 4 miles they might have thought I had heat stroke.  But I ran the fastest last 4 miles ever for any of my marathons... easily 8 min/miles.  I finished the Ironman on an emotional and physical high.  Not bad considering the day started with a "crappy" swim.  I checked my feet after the race and to my surprise they were fine... no blisters!

Finish: 13:41:40

Overall I am satisfied with my effort considering the challenges I faced and the fact that this race was just a long training day.  I am looking forward to tackling CDA again in 2013.

As an aside I just heard about the competitor that died from the IM CDA swim.  My condolences to his family.  Ironman is never easy and the swim was very challenging.  I train in the Pacific Ocean and deal with waves and surf.  I have swam Alcatraz twice.  This CDA swim reminded me of the cold waters of Alcatraz.

No comments:

Post a Comment