Saturday, December 8, 2012

Ironman # 8: Arizona 2012

Ironman #8

Well I set out to complete 4 Ironman Triathlons in 2012.  2 weeks after Florida, it was time for Arizona.  This is a special race since my Ironteam-mate Mari died in October while training for this race.  Many of my teammates gathered in Arizona to commemorate Mari.  Those of us racing wore armbands and photos of Mari on race day.  I think Mari helped me get through the difficult stretches of this race and inspired me to give it my best effort on race day despite running in the Auckland Marathon 3 weeks previously and Ironman Florida 2 weeks prior to Arizona.  The presence of my friends and teammates cheering me along the course also inspired me to " Play Like a Champion Today"--Notre Dame Football

Swim 1:46:45

The water was cold.  Arizona is a deep water start.  You jump in 15 minutes before the start of the race and head for the start line.  I swam out towards the bridge, but stopped before reaching it and rested at a kayak. I probably mis-timed the race start, since by the time I resumed swimming towards the start line, the start gun had gone off.  This may have costed me a few minutes.  The good news is that the crowd was gone and I was able to swim in peace.  Once I got into my groove, it was a very pleasant swim and I no longer noticed the cold water temperature.  The swim is a single out and back.  No waves.  People mentioned that the water is dirty, but I did not notice.  I inadvertently swallowed some water and it seemed fine.

T1 10:55

As I mentioned in my IM Florida report, I tend to take my time in transition.  However, this one was a bit longer because the heater felt so good after the cold water swim.  I couldn't help lingering a little bit longer to warm up.

Bike 6:22:23

Again my tired legs affected me during the ride.  I averaged 17.5 mph, but was much faster going downhill or with a tailwind and much slower going uphill or with a headwind.  The outbound portion of this 3 loop course  has an uphill section.  This is of course followed by a downhill section on the inbound portion.  The winds did pick up significantly during the bike ride.  The key is to try to be consistent and maintain a similar effort uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind.  Seeing cheering teammates throughout this 3 loop course was the highlight of the ride.  I am already looking forward to tackling this race course again in 2013 on "Fresh Legs"!

T2 7:40

Run 4:47:40

The run course is again 3 loops.  I was excited to run.  It was getting a little warm, but not bad compared to some of my other Ironman races held in the summer months.  The sun sets early this time of year, so during loop 2 it started to get dark, and got a little cool on loop 3.  3 loops mean plenty of chances to see my racing teammates and my non-racing friends and coaches.  That again was the highlight of the course.  The aid stations were great and the volunteers were supportive and enthusiastic.  Did the race get old during loop 2 and 3?  Well loop 1, everything is new and exciting.  Loop 2 is the toughest loop, because you have seen it already and you know that you will see it all again on Loop 3!  By the time Loop 3 hits, you are already focusing on counting down the final miles and finishing the Ironman.  It was during loop 3 that I really felt inspired by memories of my teammate Mari.  I had her picture on the back of my running shirt.  With thoughts of the many training sessions and previous triathlons we had endured together, I rounded the final corner and ran across the finish line.

Finish 13:15:23

We waited at the finish line and celebrated everyone of our teammates finishing.  After our last finisher, we drank a toast of Bourbon to Mari.  She would have liked that very much.

I spent Thanksgiving with family giving Thanks for everything God has given me in 2012.  All my Ironman wishes came true ( except for the Kona lottery...)  I am Thankful for the support of family, friends, and coworkers.  They supported my fund-raising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  They gave me encouragement and the opportunity to train for almost the entire year for these Ironman events.  With their "Loving Kindness" I plan to continue raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as I tackle Ironman Coeur D'Alene, Ironman Lake Tahoe, and Ironman Arizona in 2013.


1 comment: