Sunday, March 15, 2009

Latigo Canyon Ride, Malibu, CA

Yesterday was a fun workout. We had our biggest climb to date: Latigo Canyon in Malibu. This is a 2000 ft climb over 9 miles of switchbacks. Never too steep, but steady uphill. It makes for a nice hour to hour and 15 min climb. The reward is panoramic vistas, the feeling of accomplishment at the peak, and then the thrill of riding downhill at high speed. Going downhill was fun, mixed with a hint of danger. Tackling these curves at high speeds required hands on the brakes, and good balance between rider and bicycle. At one point, I approached a turn too fast and had to hit the brakes hard or else risk going over the edge of the road. That would not have been pretty. I made it safely back to the car and it was time for the run.

We ran up to the beautiful campus of Pepperdine University. Wow what a place to go to school. I would have had a hard time concentrating on my studies if I went there. How can you lock yourself away all day in a library when the beautiful ocean and grand trails and roads await? Well for a Saturday, the campus was remarkably quiet. Either the students were still sleeping in, or else they were out and about in the great outdoors. I did run into some students, probably Greek frats and sororities, running some kind of obstacle course set up in a field.
The highlight of my run was running with a couple of my Iron teammates on the Pepperdine track. We had a beautiful view of ocean and hills. We ran a mile and it turns out it was a 7 min mile. Not bad considering I wasn't running for time and was just enjoying the view.

Afterwards we got free 15 min massages from LA Sports Massage. They promote sports massage as therapy to-- Enhanced athletic performance - Fewer injuries - Restored flexibility and range of motion - Faster recovery from injury - Removal of lactic acid buildup. I felt good, but could have used a longer, perhaps 60 to 90 min, massage.

I can't wait to see what comes next in our training. Our Wildflower Training Weekend is coming up in just 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment