Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mulholland Hwy 60 mile ride

We had an intense 60 miler from Calabasas, over the Santa Monica Mountains National Rec Area, down to PCH in Malibu, and back over the mountains to Calabasas. I was told by my mentor that we climbed over 6000 feet. I covered this mountain terrain in a respectable 4.5 hours. The ride was challenging, but fun. The sense of accomplishment at the end of the ride made all the pain worth while.
The only downside was nearly getting clipped by a crazy motorcyclist early in the ride. Our Ironteam was riding in a pack. Early in the ride we were still bunched up. As we started going up a slight incline, I tried to pass a small group ( about 3 across). Our group was taking up the entire lane, and I passed to their left, but still on our side of the double yellow line separating from oncoming traffic. I can usually hear cars from behind, but this motorcyclist zoomed past from behind on the other side of the double yellow, but close enough to me so that I could feel the breeze go by. That sure woke me up. Needless to say my coaches were constantly reminding me to stay on the side of the road the rest of the ride.
Today I'm working a 24 hr shift at the hospital, so I'll get my 1hr 45 min run and swim session in tomorrow.

1 comment: