Sunday, June 14, 2009

Barefoot 5K

I ran the Manhattan Beach 5k yesterday. It's a nice race on the sand. I have to say it's one of my favorite 5Ks. You get the hard core runners, the high school athletes, then the rest of us: Moms, Dads, kids, strollers. So while my Ironteammates rode down towards San Diego for a 100 mile bike ride, I ran my fastest 5K since my knee injury 2 months ago. I averaged 7:35 / mile. Not bad considering the fact that I'm facing reconstructive knee surgery in two and a half weeks. I even came in 10 th place in my division.
Now the bad news is that my right calf started hurting during the last mile. I sucked it up and finished the race, but I was unable to sprint to the finish like I usually do. It definitely wasn't cardiovascular. I felt that if it wasn't for my calf giving out, I probably could have shaved off another minute from my finish time of 23:31
So now I'm on call for 24 hrs at the hospital ( while my teammates are out running 20 miles today!) My calf is still sore and I'm walking with a slight gimp. I've got the Salon Pas applied to the calf today. My aches and pains probably can't compare to those of my teammates after this weekend. ( Bike 100 miles / Run 20 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment