Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Barefoot Running Ironteam Style and LA River Ride

On Saturday I had a "fun" workout with the Ironteam. We were doing loops which consisted of a 14 mile ride in Brentwood ( Amalfi / Golf Course Loop) followed by a transition and then a 1 mile run on San Vicente. And then repeating the loop again and again and again...
Although I'm not in shape for a 80 miler, I figured I can do as many loops as possible and then stop when I'm "out of gas". So it was a great opportunity to see my Ironteammates and coaches again.
I knew about the loop bike course ahead of time, but didn't realize we were running right off the bike. I had assumed that we were just biking for 4 or 5 hours and then running for an hour afterwards like our typical brick workouts. So I didn't bring my running shoes!!! (I'm recovering from torn knee ligaments)
So on Saturday, I improvised. I finished the bike section of each loop, took off my bike gear, cycling shoes and socks, then took off barefoot!
Ahh the joy of barefoot running. It was like being a kid again. Fortunately San Vicente Blvd has a large grassy area in the middle dividing the opposing traffic. Running barefoot on grass was enjoyable. Unfortunately crossing the road and the occasional dirt sections were a little bit uncomfortable, especially the fourth time around.
Barefoot running strengthens the foot muscles and uses different muscle groups in the legs and hips such as the calves and hamstrings. It also helps improve coordination and balance. I'm not a stranger to barefoot running since I regularly participate in 5Ks, 2.5 milers, 4 milers, and even 5 mile races held on the beach. I even have a couple age group awards for a 2.5 mile race and a 5 mile race that I ran back to back the same morning last year at Hermosa Beach. In fact I have the Manhattan Beach 5K coming up this upcoming Saturday. Running barefoot on the beach with the waves crashing in is just plain old fashioned fun! I recommend it.
Well going back to the loops... I finished each of the first two loops in an hour ( bike + transition + run). By the third time up Amalfi (hilly), I was tired and had to slow down. ( 1hr 10 min). The fourth time through the loop ( 1hr 10min), the fun was fading fast and the monotony and fatigue was setting in. My legs were starting to ache during the uphill portions of the course. What's worse, the soles of my feet were also starting to hurt. On grass they were fine, but the asphalt / cement sections were starting to take their toll. So after a 4 hour 20 min workout, I called it quits. I stretched during my cool down, said my goodbyes to the coaches, and then headed home for a much needed shower and nap.
On Sunday I participated in the LA River Ride. They offered rides up to 100 miles. I participated in the Family Ride which was only 10 miles. I rode my comfort bike with the cushy seat, wide tires, and upright riding position. It was a relaxing way to recover from the strenuous workout the day before. Afterwards I attended a local carnival and street fair then watched an exciting Lakers game.

1 comment: