Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Weeks 8 and 9 post ACL Reconstruction

Wow, time flies when you're active. I'm back on the road again. I've been busy with work and working out, so I haven't had time to blog.
In week 8, I started swimming laps: 60 to 90 minutes per session. Initially my knee bothered me with kicking, so I concentrated on just pulling water with my arms. Now I'm incorporating a little more kicking, but I'm careful because the ACL graft is still in its most vulnerable state. I also added stair master to my regimen which also includes Versa-climber, elliptical, and stationary bike.

This past weekend, I officially started marathon training. I walked 6 miles on Saturday in 90 degree heat. Yesterday I walked 11 hilly miles in 3 hours in 80 degree heat. Its great to be on the road along my favorite routes. However going so slow was a little frustrating. I'm accustomed to covering 18 to 20 miles in 3 hours. My plan is to walk the Nike "Women's" Half Marathon in October and to Walk/ Jog the full marathon at RnR San Antonio in November.

In terms of PT, I'm now working on balance and strengthening my hips and gluts. I got full extension of my Right knee. However I can hyper-extend my Left "good" knee, and unable to do so with my Right knee. In terms of flexion, I can flex 140 degrees which is considered excellent. However I can flex even more with my good knee, so comparatively I still need to go a little further to recover all of my ROM ( range of motion). These last few degrees may be the difference between just running a marathon or completing an Ironman versus setting new PRs or qualifying for Boston.

1 comment: