Sunday, January 10, 2010

Westlake Village Brick


Well it was back to Westlake Village for a 30 mile ride with our Ironteam yesterday.  I definitely see an improvement from my first time on this route last year.  I remember the hills seemed almost impossible at that time.  It took a lot of "coaching" from Coach Paul to get me to the top of the hill.  I remember bobbing up and down on the bike and Coach Paul telling me to keep my upper body level and to minimize the wasted effort of moving my upper body on the bike.  This time around I cruised up the hills by spinning and trying to minimize any wasted movements.  I also tried to be aerodynamic during the flats and downhill sections. 
After the ride, I ran for 20 minutes.  ( Coach said 10 min, but that was too short for me.)  Then while waiting for the rest of my Ironteammates to come in from their ride, I worked on my pylometrics.  Jumping up and down and hopping on one leg.  Some of my teammates were wondering what the heck I was up to!  We cheered on the last few riders as they came in.  The last rider looked beat, so in addition to cheering her on, I decided to run with her for her 10 min run.  I figure its no fun coming in last and running by yourself.
I didn't realize what a workout that was until today.  I'm on call 24 at the hospital.  We had a hip fracture on a 99 y.o., a Whipple, and a uroseptic patient on maximal doses of triple pressors!  Up in OB land it was relatively quiet with just one C-section so far.  But my back is feeling the effects of yesterday's ride and my operated knee is sore today perhaps from the running, but more likely from the pylometric exercises.  I had to break out the Tiger Balm today.  Tomorrow I was planning on a quick swim followed by a 6 mile run. Hopefully my leg will cooperate.  Otherwise I might replace the run with 6 miles on the elliptical.

No comments:

Post a Comment