Tuesday, February 2, 2010

7 months Post ACL Reconstruction

Greetings.  Seven months post ACL reconstruction and I'm doing fine.  I've been running, biking, and swimming as I get ready for Desert Tri next month, Wildflower in May, and Ironman Louisville in August.
I had my follow up visit with my Ortho Doc last week and got great news that my knee is completely stable.  So the ACL reconstruction was a success.  I informed him that I'm frustrated that my R hamstring is still weaker than the Left and I have difficulty with pylometrics.  But he reassured me that I'm way ahead of the curve in terms of my recovery: 1 half marathon, 2 full marathons, and 1 Ultra marathon post ACL reconstruction.
My swimming is coming along.  I have the aerobic fitness so I can swim "all day".  The encouraging part is that I'm swimming faster as well.  I guess I'm starting to adapt to the water and swimming more efficiently.

The Ironteam Saturday bike rides are great.  2 weekends ago we rode the Palos Verdes loop.  Since this is my home course, I really enjoyed it.  I love the hills.  Yes hills!!!  Beautiful sights around every bend.  Above is a picture overlooking the Trump golf course.  Last weekend we did the Amalfi loop in Brentwood/ Santa Monica. After each cycling loop, we transitioned into a 1 to 2 mile run, then repeated this 3 times.
I'm still working my way into cycling shape, but I'm pleased with my progress.  I managed to drop 4 of the 5 pounds I gained over the holidays.  I'm still about 5 pounds heavier than last season, but I feel that I probably picked up some muscle weight from the increased emphasis I've placed on strength training during my rehab.  On Sunday, in addition to swimming 1.2 miles, I ran 2 miles on the treadmill in my Vibram FiveFingers barefoot running shoes.  I reached a max speed of 9mph on 2% grade.  Stay tuned for a future post about barefoot running and the Vibram FiveFingers.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your ACL Recovery Blog, I tore my ACL and Meniscus in December of 2009 and as of today I am currently 5 weeks and 2 days Post-op and I am recovering well.

    ReplyDelete