Sunday, February 21, 2010

Malibu: Joie de Vivre

After a rainy Friday night, Saturday was a perfectly clear So Cal February morning.  Ironteam met at Zuma Beach in Malibu for a 2 hour bike: 1 hour run, brick workout.  I enjoyed the beautiful coastline during the ride.  It was so pleasant that it didn't even seem like a workout.  I pushed hard during the second hour of the ride and started to feel like I was finally getting back to pre-ACL injury cycling shape. 
Off the bike we ran on the path along the beach.  The first 15 minutes my legs felt heavy and sluggish.  I probably pushed too hard during the bike ride.  I ended up jogging this portion of the run.  Finally the legs recovered and I started to run at a good clip.  I took a slight detour to run up a trail and then on the return I ran on the beach.  Running on sand provides a more strenous workout for the calves.  I managed to dodge all but one wave; that wave got my shoes and socks wet.  But it was worth it.  Nothing adds joie de vivre like running on a beach, dodging the waves, under a clear sunny sky.  Try it.  I guarantee it will bring a smile to your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment