Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mulholland Highway

This is a picture of me and a couple of my Ironteammates from Kaiser Permanente.  The three of us all work for Kaiser Permanente and are proud to represent Kaiser's Thrive campaign.  We believe that healthy eating and physical activity are an integral part of combating obesity and the many chronic medical conditions that result from it.  We also believe in promoting this healthy lifestyle at home, at work, and in our communities. 
The three of us also believe in focusing our energy towards a noble cause and a common goal.  In this case we are all raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to promote research towards a cure for these cancers.  We have devoted ourselves since last November towards training for an Ironman triathlon.  Yes 140.6 miles.
Last Saturday we rode almost 56 miles from Pepperdine University in Malibu, over the Santa Monica Mountains and back.  It took me a little under 4 hours, but it was a very hilly ride.  Off the bike, we had a quick 15 minute run around the Pepperdine U. campus.  It was a beautiful day.  Cool in the morning, but heating up quickly during our climb up the mountains.  I felt a sense of satisfaction after the workout, especially since I had worked a 24 hour shift at the hospital and came directly from the hospital to the workout.  I was seeing my last patient at 6am, and by 8am  I was riding my Cervelo with the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Santa Monica Mountains on the other.  Can't beat that! ( Well actually, sleeping in my own bed prior to the 4 hour+ workout would have been better.)
This Saturday we will tackle the Santa Monica Mountains again.  This time we will start from Calabasas and I will not be working a 24 hour shift before my workout.

1 comment:

  1. good post. Maybe I will submit that to the KP internal site thing LOL

    ReplyDelete