Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My toughest Workout Ever!!! Piuma

Last Saturday, I rode from Calabasas up and over the Santa Monica Mountains via Piuma and Schueren then Stunt and Mulholland.  This is known as the Piuma Hill Climb: over 2200 feet of climbing over 8 miles.  This is tough enough dealing with the climb, but we had very strong winds.  Headwinds made for a real slow climb, then the crosswinds and tailwinds made for extremely hazardous conditions.  I thought that I might get blown over several times.  Then throw in the recreational race car drivers in their BMWs, Infiniti Gs, Mercedes, Land Rovers, Ferraris, etc...  You get the picture.  Zoom Zoom Zoom right next to us cyclists trying to avoid the wind blowing us into traffic.  Throw in the dust / dirt in the eyes and its a miracle I survived. 
One loop was not enough; our coaches made us do 2 loops to make a 60 mile ride.  All this over a little under 5 hours.  Cruel, very cruel.  Thanks Coach Paul and Coach Rad.  My friend Louis was not present to take pictures, otherwise I would have some to post here.  He was smart, he did the easy Ironman California 70.3 in Oceanside.  A day at the beach, compared to the harrowing climb I had in the Santa Monica Mountains and Canyons. 
The psychological battle was tougher than the physical, but the physical was mighty tough.  I have an aching back and butt to prove it.  The thought of "quitting" or cutting the course short, or only doing 1 loop crept in my mind.  I knew I had to throw out these negative thoughts, and just concentrate on one small section at a time.  I know that this experience will help me on race day especially in the Ironman.  Heck, Wildflower Long Course is easy compared to Piuma.
Oh yeah, 15 minute run off the bike.  Thanks again Coaches.  Actually it was a pleasure to get off the bike and be on solid ground again.
Afterwards I was very proud of surviving my toughest workout ever.  I consider myself lucky to live in So Cal and be able to enjoy the wonderful weather and recreational opportunities that we have.  Viva la Vida

No comments:

Post a Comment