Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pre-Vineman Aquabike

A lot has been going on with my work that has increased my level of stress and probably impacted my training.  I was starting to feel "burned out" by training.  Instead of a joy and stress reliever, the 2 a day workouts were becoming an unpleasant chore.  I discussed this with Coach Paul and he told me that I've been going full bore with training and my "additional" activities that my body was feeling worn down.  He told me that I still have time to get my body back in tune before Ironman Louisville.  

It started with getting back from Vegas and dealing with one urgent situation after another at the hospital.  I can deal with medical emergencies, but dealing with administrative and personnel issues can be even more stressful because the situation drags on for weeks.  On top of this, training has now ramped up to 2 a days on weekdays and weekend rides + runs lasting 5, 6, up to 8 hours! Then throw in my Alcatraz Challenge Part 2... and no wonder I'm beat.

  I signed up for the Aquathon which consisted of swimming from Alcatraz to Chrissy Field and then running over and back from the Golden Gate Bridge.  My last Alcatraz swim went so well that I got cocky.  I did not prepare well and I paid the price.  20 min into the swim and I was tired and my HR was way too high.  The water was very choppy and with the fog and my leaky goggles, I could not sight my landmarks.  This increased my anxiety which increased my HR and breathing, and I was finished.  I got pulled into a boat and for the next 30 min we picked up other swimmers who were struggling or were getting pulled off course by the strong current.  The good news to this was that they took us to a point about half mile from shore and allowed those who wanted to finish the swim to do so.  I knew I had to jump back in the water to regain my lost confidence.  So I finished the swim and then ran the 7.5 miles across the GG bridge.  From the bridge the distance between Alcatraz and Chrissy Field seemed immense! 
 
For the next week I felt crappy about my swimming and psychologically I had a real negative attitude.  But after taking a couple days off last week, I feel renewed and my workouts have gone well this week.  I got a massage on Monday after Saturday"s 100 mile ride and Sunday's 16 mile run.  Today I swam 2.5 miles in the pool.  

I now feel confident again heading into Vineman Aquabike.  I will swim 2.4 miles and ride 112 miles this coming Saturday.  I leave for the Bay Area tomorrow.  Stay tuned for my race report next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment