Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vineman Aquabike Race Report

I had a fun day at Vineman last weekend.  This was a training weekend for me, since I'm racing Ironman Louisville August 29th.  I was still very nervous though.  I got my transition stuff set up, used the Port-a-potty, then drank a little FRS, and proceeded to the gathering area for my wave.  The swim finally started around 6:55 am.  I stayed back and swam at a leisurely pace.  I didn't want to go out too fast and redline.  I was determined not to have a repeat of my Alcatraz Challenge experience from a few weeks ago.  The swim went great.  I was actually enjoying myself.  I remember the words of wisdom from Coach Rad: " You're going to do what kids love to do, swim, bike, and run."  So I just thought about being a kid again and swimming for fun.  The only downside to this of course is that I went much slower than I had planned.  I was planning on 1:30  Instead I took 1:43:45 for the 2.4 mile swim.  I know I can push myself a little harder for Louisville, but again I don't want to spend so much energy on the swim that I slow down on the bike.  The only other issue with the swim was the need to pee.  I have a hard time peeing in the wetsuit.  I paused several times during the swim in an attempt to pee, with no success.  Finally around 2 mile mark, I stood up and "mission accomplished."  A kayaker checked on me and told me that I just need to go a little further and I'll be finished with the swim.  Of course I knew I was almost finished, but I've been holding my bladder for at least a mile of swimming!  So finish the swim, out of the water, and into transition.
Transition: 7:59  Not bad, considering I drank a bottle of FRS and ate a PB+J sandwich.  Now with renewed vigor I tackled the 112 mile bike course.
Bike: 6:20:53  My best ride of the season.  Considering that I didn't taper and this was just a hard paced workout, I was very happy with my bike time.  I took it easy the first 10 miles or so, then gradually picked up the pace.  I paid attention to nutrition.  The weather cooperated and it was cool for the first couple hours of the ride.  By the time I hit Chalk Hill, I was in the groove and handled the hill with ease.  I sped down and returned to Windsor to complete the first loop.  I got to the Special Needs bag aid station.  I got off the bike and saw the long line for the Port-a-Potty and decided I'll skip the potty.  I found my bag and restocked my electrolyte fluid bottles and my Powerbars.  I also ate another PB+J sandwich.  Then it was off for loop 2.  This was definitely tougher.  I kept a good pace, but the hills were much tougher the second time around.  I stood more on loop 2 during these climbs.  When I hit Chalk Hill, I was pretty tired.  I used mental will-power to climb up.  The cheering supporters on Chalk Hill definitely helped pick up my spirits and gave me that umph to get up Chalk Hill.  Then it was a speedy descent to Windsor and the Finishline!  When I cross the finish, the volunteers had to stop me.  My body just wanted to keep moving.  A volunteer said, "Whoa, your race is finished!"  So after 8:12:38 I was an Aquabike Finisher.  Doesn't have the same ring as Ironman or even Vineman Finisher.  I know that on that day, I could easily have jogged a marathon and become a Vineman/ Ironman.  But I'll have to wait for Louisville.

No comments:

Post a Comment