Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ironteam Year 3: A New Beginning

Team in Training is an amazing group of dedicated people.  I work in the medical profession, so I encounter people everyday who are dedicated to their work.  However for many people in healthcare, it's just a job.  They will work together as a healthcare team to get the job done.  Quality matters.  Patient care matters.  But there is a significant difference between dedication to a job and dedication to a voluntary cause or organization.

The people I have met on the Ironteam these last 2 years have been very amazing.  They've raised a huge sum of money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  Some did it to honor a family member or a friend battling Cancer.  Others did it for Honored Teammates who have had to battle this disease.  The team is there to support each other through good times and difficult times.  In many respects, the Ironteam is a large family.  We've got each other's back.

Recently a part of this family was lost.  My Ironteammate Brian M. lost his Dad last week.  His Dad's long battle with Cancer finally came to an end.  Brian has completed 2 Ironman Triathlons in honor of his Dad.  My thoughts and prayers go out to Brian and his family.  But I know that Brian's father's ideals and values were passed on to Brian and he in turn will pass it on to his kids.  In this way, the Circle of Life is continuous.

I want to continue to work with these amazing people.  I have signed up for the Ironteam again.  Ironteam Year 1 was cut short due to my knee injury and subsequent surgery.  In Year 2, I reached my goal of becoming an Ironman at Louisville.  In Year 3, I will train harder and look to improve in all aspects of Triathlon at IM Louisville.  I know that this year, we will have new coaches and many new teammates.  But I already know that these people will be "Amazing."

No comments:

Post a Comment