Saturday, September 11, 2010

Marathon Maniac: Back in Training 20 miler

Well now that Ironman Louisville is in the rear view mirror, I can look forward to my fall marathon season.    My first fall marathon is Marine Corps on Oct 31, 2010.  Followed quickly by RnR San Antonio on Nov 14 and RnR Las Vegas on Dec 5.
Today I ran with my running club, AREC in Long Beach, CA.  I've done some short 3 and 5 mile runs with AREC on a few Wednesday nights over the past year.  But today was probably the first Saturday marathon training run I've done with my running club since I started Ironman training in 2008.  It was nice to see old friends and meet new ones.  Our club has probably doubled in size in the last 2 years.  During today's 20 miler, I ran for long stretches with a young female Urologist who just finished her residency, another runner who has run numerous marathons and whose PR is close to mine, and then another runner who is training for his first marathon.  I enjoyed their company so I picked up my pace to keep up with them.  I was running 9:30 pace for most of the run, although my legs started to get very sore during the last 5 miles or so and I slowed down.  I gutted out the last couple miles.  I guess my legs are not fully recovered from my Ironman 2 weeks ago.

I wore my Ironman L'ville shirt and hat, and got a lot of props.  Many wanted to know what it was like.  I told them its tough and at times miserable during the race, but the finish is awesome.  The sense of pride and accomplishment is priceless.  As for L'ville: Hot n Humid.  Would I do another Ironman?  Probably Yes.  I think I've caught Ironman fever.  Would I do L'ville again?  Perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment