Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Rainy Weekend

I missed the Ironteam swim session Thursday because of the rain. Rain means traffic accidents and traffic jams in L.A. I didn't want to be stuck for 1 to 2 hours on the 405 freeway. So I decided to swim Friday after work. That didn't go very well. The pool was crowded, meaning sharing lanes with multiple people per lane. I also felt lethargic and my swimming was BAD. I swam 1000 yards and that was it.
Saturday was our scheduled 3 hour Ironteam bike ride. Again because of the rain, the bike ride was cancelled. The Ironteam met over in Santa Monica and we had a 90 minute run. The run went much better. Initially the skies were overcast, but dry. We tackled a long steep hill, then a gradual ascent. Finally it was a gradual downhill. During this time it started raining again. I enjoy running in the rain. I started to run at my half marathon pace. I felt like a kid again.
As children, we loved playing in the rain. ( At least I did.) Getting your clothes wet and soggy, covered in mud was FUN. Playing football in the rain was fun, as long as you keep moving. And the warm shower, and hot chocolate afterwards was divine.
The run was effortless. My breathing was rhythmic. The moisture on my face and my lips was refreshing. The cold air was exhilarating and sharpened the senses. My run reminded me of all those times I played in the rain as a child. Try it sometime, you will see what I mean.
This morning my swim workout 15 X 100 went pretty well. It got me energized for my 24 hour shift at the hospital today. I will try to get my 3 hour bike ride in tomorrow if the roads dry up.

No comments:

Post a Comment