Sunday, May 31, 2009

The End of Ironman Training 2009

Breaking News: As much as I enjoyed working out with the Ironteam after my injury, I realized that I'm about 2 months behind in fitness compared to my teammates. My peak fitness was 8 weeks ago, the day before my ski injury when I ran 14 miles in under 2 hours at high altitude in Canada. I could confidently tackle hilly 65 mile bike rides. Now a 3 or 4 hour ride would be considered a major success, and my longest run after the injury was the 7 miler I jogged yesterday. As the Ironteam workouts now extend to 85 and 90 miles, I realized that I don't have the confidence to tackle these arduous workouts. It's also been tough to keep up with the swim sessions. Since I won't be competing in Vineman this year, family obligations are now a priority. Work is also a big priority now, since I will be taking a month off in July to recuperate from my ACL surgery. I need to finish up projects and administrative duties prior to my surgery.

So this is the end of my Ironteam training for this season. But I'll be back in 6 months for another Ironteam season. I will definitely miss the friends I made this season; my teammates, mentors, and coaches. I hope to drop in from time to time at the team workouts to encourage my teammates and hopefully draw inspiration from them as I face rehab.

1 comment:

  1. Good pick with family and jobs.

    Keep In Touch!!! I'll definitely see you around!!!

    How long are you going to be at the hospital? Maybe I will visit you with my Pikachu costume.

    Take good care of yourself and your family.

    Louis

    ReplyDelete