Saturday, December 26, 2009

25 Weeks Post ACL Reconstruction

An update on a recent Physical Therapy appointment I had:

ROM: Excellent.  Full range of motion.
Pylometrics:  Poor.

Pylometrics: a type of exercise using explosive movements to develop muscular power, esp. bounding, hopping, and jumping.

My hopping and jumping on the operative leg is only 30 to 50% of my good leg.  I really haven't been working on pylometrics.  Instead I've been so eager to get back to marathons and triathlons that I've pretty much ignored it.  I thought that running would be good enough.  WRONG!!!

I will need to incorporate this into my workouts.  Without adequate muscular strength in the hamstrings and buttocks, I will be putting more stress on the knee joint.  Although I have enough strength for "slow" marathon running and biking, I definitely do not have the strength for high impact sports such as basketball, football, soccer, skiing, etc...  I will have to put aside any plans of skiing or pick-up basketball until late 2010 or 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment