Sunday, April 11, 2010

1 Year after ACL tear

It was exactly 1 year ago that I tore my ACL skiing ( falling actually) in Calgary / Banff.  It was a very traumatic and emotional time for me.  Here is an excerpt from my blog last year:

"It's hard adjusting to the transition from training so hard for Wildflower ( I completed the swim, bike, and run workouts in Canada at high altitude and even ran 14 miles in 2 hours the day before the accident) And now being on bedrest with my foot elevated and an ice pack on my knee!"


"I'm pretty depressed. I always took running for granted. It was so effortless, unless I was pushing 7 min/ miles. Now a fear I have is that I won't get back to my previous running form with a bum knee. I still dream of becoming an Ironman. I still dream of qualifying for the Boston Marathon someday. Hopefully with the support of family, friends, coaches, and teammates, my dreams will still be realized one day."
 
The support of my friends, teammates, and family got me through this rough patch.  Here is some excerpts from comments on my blog:
 
"I know you will come back stronger than ever. This is how we roll. Rest up and I'll see you soon."  Louis
"You're on the right track Alex. Rest and let your body do what it does best, heal!! You'll be back in no time. Please update me of your progress."  Arkady
"ALEX...I just heard about your accident this weekend from Edmund. I am so sorry to hear about your ski accident. I wish you a speedy and smoooooooth recovery. I hope the injury does not involve the ACL and we can see you back on the course soon. It is these difficult times that will make us stronger Alex. I know you will come back better than ever."  Carlos Pineda
 
This year I took Spring Break near Vancouver.  Seeing the snow capped mountains around Vancouver and Mt. Baker in NW Washington State gave me the desire to go skiing again.  I did not ski.  Instead I ran 5 to 12 miles almost everyday.  Running is coming more easily now.  Yesterday I ran about 2 hours along the coast and along some country roads in NW Washington State. Today, back in So. Cal. I got back on my bike for a nice ride in P.V.  I didn't swim very much, but I figure I needed to rest my shoulder.  Now with Wildflower coming up in 3 weeks, I'll need to crank up the swimming.  I feel that I'm in pretty good cycling and running shape now for Wildflower.  Am I back to the shape I was in last year?  No, from the running standpoint.  Pretty close from the cycling standpoint and I'm definitely a faster swimmer and a more confident one in the open water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment