Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Taper Time for Wildflower Triathlon

Last weekend we had an open water swim followed by a easy 3 hour bike ride. 
Now as we go into our taper, it is time to reflect on how far each of us on the Ironteam has come this year.  At times it was a struggle, like climbing a "nasty grade".

Sometimes the buoys seem so far away, and we just have to persist and endure.  Stroke after stroke, until we are finally out of the water.

Running has not been easy this year since my ACL reconstruction.  But I'm making progress.  I don't think I will be running as fast as I did last year at Wildflower training weekend.  But I know that I am a better swimmer and probably a better cyclist since last year.  So it kind of balances out.

During the taper it is a struggle to stay healthy.  I've already had several days of being under the weather with a stomach virus.  After my Sunday "easy run" of 13 miles, I had the chills.  Hopefully I'm getting all of this out of my system, so that next week I'll be 100% for Wildflower.

Wow, 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run!  I can't believe I'm finally gonna do this thing.  Because of my ACL injury I had to delay this a year, but now I'm only about 10 days away from completing a half Ironman distance triathlon.

Again I couldn't have made my comeback without my excellent Orthopedic Surgeon, my demanding Physical Therapist, and my Team in Training Coaches.  Thanks to all.

1 comment:

  1. What a great comeback from a terrible injury. Way to go. Enjoy your adventure as you become a half ironman triathlete. Art

    ReplyDelete