Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ironman Louisville: Taper time...Bring on the Heat

The last several weeks after Vineman have been very hectic.  A 5 hour bike: 3 hour run brick workout in Westlake Village the Saturday after Vineman.  To get use to racing in the heat, I wore an extra layer and arm sleeves.  That was followed by a Sunday 30 mile bike: 11 mile run brick workout.
The following weekend to get use to racing in Real Heat, I took off for the desert to train in 90's and 100 degree temperature.  A 34 mile bike: 6 mile run brick in those conditions was tough, but made me mentally stronger and better prepared for Louisville.  I followed that up with another 6 mile run the following day.  My experience in the desert stressed the importance of hydration.  One thing I notice was that I didn't feel like eating...  But I know that for the Ironman, I will need to get some solids down because I won't get enough calories on a liquid diet.
Yesterday, our Ironteam had our last Saturday workout.  An easy 45 min run, followed by a talk from the coaches to prep us for Ironman.  I dropped off my bike with the Tribike transport truck and then went home.  On the way home, I stopped off at the gym and swam 1.2 miles. I got in some interval training. Believe it or not, it felt good.  I think I'm finally ready to do this Ironman thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment