Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Marathon PR 18 months Post ACL Reconstruction

Well I did it.  I managed to not only beat last month's Las Vegas Marathon time by over half an hour, but I set a PR by over 7 minutes at the Rock n Roll Arizona marathon last Sunday. Yes, a PR: I actually ran faster than I did prior to my ACL tear and subsequent Reconstruction in July of 2009. 
This was also my fourth marathon in 3 months.  Yes, Marathon Maniac is back.  All while training for my Ironman 2011events.  Now I know Boston is within reach with a little more intensive speedwork. Due to Ironman triathlon training, I haven't had time for speedwork.  Instead I have emphasized endurance cross-training.  When I get serious about Boston Qualifying in 2012, look out...
As I reflect on everything related to my ACL tear, surgery, and rehab, I can't believe how far I have come.  Last year I became an Ironman at Louisville.  Now I set a new marathon PR.  My fear when I tore my ACL was that I would never run fast again, that I would never realize my dream of becoming an Ironman, and that I would never ski again.  Well I've now accomplished 2 out of 3.  I now trust my knee completely, even though I don't trust my skiing ability.  I will probably hit the bunny slopes next month.  Wish me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment