Monday, April 27, 2009

Big Sur Marathon

I just returned from my favorite Marathon of all time. And I've done quite a few. The Big Sur International Marathon. The race is well organized. The volunteers are great. The scenery is unbelievable. I feel like I'm in a dream world. I told my friends and colleagues that when I ran it in 2007 I was in a Zen like state for 26.2 miles. This year was different, but special as well.

I was suppose to compete in the Wildflower Long Course Tri next weekend. So I planned a nice taper / break from Ironteam training by organizing a Relay team from work for the Big Sur Marathon. As my readers will know, I injured myself 2 weeks ago in a ski accident. I tore my MCL and ACL !!! in my right knee. Ouch!
So I wasn't sure I could still participate in the marathon relay. But thanks to the support of my teammates and their understanding, I walked the last part of the relay and crossed the finish line with another teammate, our hands held up in triumph. We completed the marathon in 4:27:19
This race was special because it was a team effort where my teammates had to carry my load, because of my injury. We had a wonderful team "carbo-loading" party the night before the race at a home in Pebble Beach. And of course the beautiful scenery combined with the cheering crowds makes this 2009 edition of Big Sur precious.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear. I'll definitely miss my kaiser buddy at Wildflower. You think you will be able to do the bike ride next sat or you are still in resting mode? Let us know what happen. Remember... don't kill yourself over a tree because you have a whole forest to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete