Sunday, April 5, 2009

Long Beach Swim / Bike / Run

A nice 5 hour workout yesterday in Long Beach. We had great weather, a bit chilly at first, but warmer later on. Our Ironteam started with an open water swim. We had drills where we run into the water, swim out to a buoy and back to shore. Run along the beach towards the next buoy, jump in the water and repeat the swim to this next buoy. This repeated itself several times, and finally we could just swim from the last buoy back to the first and then swim back to our transition zone. The swim was fine. The getting in and out of the water and running / walking on the beach was tough. I started to get light headed and winded from this. Going from supine swimming position to upright running position causes increased workload on the cardiovascular system. Repeating this over and over in a short period of time was definitely a strain on the system.
When the swim was over in about 30 minutes, I felt that I could swim for another 30 minutes.
The bike was fine. Pretty flat terrain although we did have a strong headwind going out. Compared to Wildflower, Mulholland, and Latigo this ride was rather boring.
After a 3 hour ride, it was back to transition and then off for a 1 hour run along the beach path. I felt strong and could easily run another hour or two.
After lunch and a nap, I went to work the night shift at the hospital. Despite the nap, I still felt tired. Oh well, I have a nice Spring Break coming up. I'm going up to Canada next week for skiing and I'll try to get the rest of my workouts in too.

No comments:

Post a Comment