Friday, April 24, 2009

Hanging out with the Team

I joined the Ironteam at the last swim practice before Wildflower. It was nice to see everyone again. Its been hard being away the last couple weeks. After their swim practice, which was very entertaining to watch, we went over to Backstage Bar to relax and watch the end of the Lakers game.
Everyone on the team looked great. They are ready for Wildflower. I wish I could join them. However the bad news is that I do have an ACL tear. My options are to live without my ACL which would limit the type of activities that I could do from now on. No more skating, skiing, basketball, soccer, hiking or running on rough trails, basically nothing that would twist my knees. I can still swim, bike, and run in a straight line.
Option 2 is to go for Vineman without the surgery and then afterwards have the surgery. The downside is that I would be at risk of re-injuring the knee in a freak accident and possibly causing more damage. The fear of this happening might impair my performance in any future race or even training session.
Option 3 have the surgery now, go through rehab of perhaps 6 months, and come back in time to join next year's Ironteam. Coach Paul said the Ironteam will always be there, and he would have the surgery. My friend, Louis, advises me to go for the surgery, because I will have many more marathons and triathlons in my future.
Option 3 is sounding like the best choice. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment