Friday, April 17, 2009

Ski Accident

The worst possible thing that could happen, happened. I went skiing in Calgary / Banff over the kids' spring break and hurt my Right knee. It happened on the last day in the late afternoon. I wanted to go on an intermediate run after spending the day on beginner slopes with the kids. I had gone down a couple intermediate runs on a previous day. However, it had been almost 13 years since my last ski trip. And I realize now, I am not as flexible or balanced as I was back then. Even in my younger days, I was never a good skier. So with the warm weather as the afternoon progressed the snow got more icy and slippery. I tried to come down slowly by going in S shapes down the slope. Then my right ski got caught in the hard icy snow and as I fell my ski boot would not release from the ski. I felt my R knee twist and "pop". I flipped and finally came to a stop. Fortunately the ski patrol came by and got me down with a sled. I went back to the hotel and rested and iced the knee. This happened on the same Saturday my Ironteammates were out on their 65 mile ride. I wish I was with them.
I returned to LA the next day, and even hobbled around and went to work on Monday. I got checked out at the hospital by my Ortho colleagues. I got my MRI and the news is not good.
I tore my MCL and possibly my ACL too. The MCL will heal in about a month, but if the ACL is involved I'm probably looking at surgery. The treatment now is rest, ice, compression, elevation, and Motrin. I will get reevaluated next week. My rehab will consist of swimming and biking, and elliptical machine, but no running. Wildflower is wiped out now, and Vineman is a question mark.
I talked to Arkady, coach Paul, and Rachel, our campaign manager. They all want me to get well and participate in the rest of Vineman training and hopefully I can swim, bike, and walk Vineman. Worse case scenario, I will transfer most of my funds raised and apply it to next year's Vineman.
It's hard adjusting to the transition from training so hard for Wildflower ( I completed the swim, bike, and run workouts in Canada at high altitude and even ran 14 miles in 2 hours the day before the accident) And now being on bedrest with my foot elevated and an ice pack on my knee!
I'm pretty depressed. I always took running for granted. It was so effortless, unless I was pushing 7 min/ miles. Now a fear I have is that I won't get back to my previous running form with a bum knee. I still dream of becoming an Ironman. I still dream of qualifying for the Boston Marathon someday. Hopefully with the support of family, friends, coaches, and teammates, my dreams will still be realized one day.

3 comments:

  1. I know you will come back stronger than ever. This is how we roll. Rest up and I'll see you soon.

    Louis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on the right track Alex. Rest and let your body do what it does best, heal!! You'll be back in no time. Please update me of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALEX...I just heard about your accident this weekend from Edmund. I am so sorry to hear about your ski accident. I wish you a speedy and smoooooooth recovery. I hope the injury does not involve the ACL and we can see you back on the course soon. It is these difficult times that will make us stronger Alex. I know you will come back better than ever.

    ReplyDelete