Monday, May 11, 2009

Conejo Metric Century Ride

Saturday, I went on the longest bike ride yet of the season. I did the Cruisin the Conejo 2009 ride. I did the Metric Century/ 68 mile ride that offered moderate hills. They also had a challenging 62 miler over the Santa Monica Mountains, a 100 miler, and also shorter distance rides of about 30 miles. This was my first substantial ride since my ski accident a month ago. I was worried that I couldn't keep up with my Ironteammates who were basically on a recovery ride from last weekend's Wildflower Tri. I rode with the team to the first aid station, then on the next leg which provided some moderately steep hills, I decided to push myself. I went ahead of my group to the next aid station. I waited for them for about 15 minutes. As they were arriving at the station, I went ahead with the next leg of the ride. By the next station, I was about 20 minutes ahead. I again waited/ relaxed and when they arrived, I went on to the finish. I was already chowing down on the post-race food when my teammates arrived at the finish. I hope they're not upset. Many thought that I had cut the ride short due to my injury. Instead I used this ride to gauge my current fitness.
The highlight of the ride was riding through the strawberry fields, the fresh scent in the air, and the boy scouts who served at the aid stations. They even held your bike while you relaxed, refueled, and hit the port-a potty. The downside to the whole day was the drive back home. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the 101 and the 405 for 2 hours!!!
Oh, I ran across a friend, Susan, from my running club, AREC in Long Beach. She is also a cyclist and rode the 68 miler. I enjoyed seeing her again and having post-race lunch with her. She informed me that her Mom is sick in the ICU at UCLA and was dedicating her ride to her Mom. Later I got an email that on Mother's Day ( yesterday), her Mom turned the corner and is now more awake and alert. Best wishes to Susan and her Mom. Let's send out our prayers and positive vibes to them. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. ooohhh... I was like... why are you talking to this random girl for so long... hahahahahhahaha

    Nice seeing you again!!!

    ReplyDelete