Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mandeville Canyon Ride

It was nice to see the Ironteam again. I missed our last couple swim sessions and also our team 90 mile bike ride last Saturday. However yesterday was just like old times ( except for the 1 hour run). We had an easy "brick" workout which consisted of a 2 hour ride and a 1 hour run. The ride was up Mandeville Canyon Road. This road is steep and long, but what goes up must come down. The long descent was fun, fun, fun. My fitness level has gone down, but I was able to hang with the middle of the pack. Hopefully, I'll get my fitness back before my surgery. ( More on that later in a separate post.)
The run was a new experience. I've been mostly walking since my injury 6 weeks ago. ( R knee ACL and MCL tear). Now my knee feels pretty stable and pain free. Once in a while if I mis-step, I feel a slight wobble as if my tibia is misaligned. A couple weeks ago I started with a little backwards running on my toes. Yesterday, I started by walking. That was too boring, despite the nice scenery of Santa Monica, California. So I started short bursts of backwards running. That was fun and got my heartrate up and I was even sweating. Of course, with backwards running you have to keep your head turned around repeatedly to make sure you're not going to run into someone or something. You also have to endure some stares and the wiseguys shouting, "Lookout!" when there is nothing behind you. Oh well, this is Santa Monica, close to the craziness that is Venice Beach and "Muscle Beach" . So I don't think I was that unusual. I walk/ran an out and back to the Santa Monica Pier. On the return part, I was afraid I was taking too long and that my Ironteam would be waiting. So I started a slow jog forwards. This was my first jog since my injury. I shuffled my feet to minimize knee impact. My knees felt fine, but its hard running this slow. I felt like a 60 year old could beat me. ( No offence to the 60-yo age-groupers who probably could beat me even when I was healthy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment