Tuesday, May 26, 2009

LA Marathon 5K

I was post-call Memorial Day, but that didn't stop me from participating in the LA Marathon events. I didn't get off my 24 hr shift until 6:30am, too late for the Bike Tour that started at 5am. My knee is not ready for the full marathon, and I'm probably not in marathon shape anyways. So I participated in the 5K. Despite the lack of sleep, I had fun. I had no time goal since I'm injured, but I tried to push myself as much as my knee could handle. I actually jogged! Yes, forwards running and not backwards running. The event was too crowded for backwards running.
The first half mile was packed with walkers, strollers, and even people marching with signs and banners. This is L.A. I saw people of all nationalities, the mentally disabled, the blind, the wheelchair participants, men, women, and children. The water stations were manned with enthusiastic volunteers. This was the best 5K water station I have ever seen. I guess they were set up also for the full marathon, since we ran on the same route as the first few miles of the full marathon.
I have run the LA Marathon the last 2 years. It was hard to miss it this year, but I guess even if I wasn't injured I would have had to skip it since our Ironteam coaches forbade the team from running in the marathon. I recommend the L.A. Marathon to any runners who enjoy the big city experience. The city comes out to support it. Crowds cheer you on as you run through the different ethnic neighborhoods of L.A. It's a great way to get a ground level view of this city and the people that make up this city.
Post-race I took a well deserved nap. Then after a late lunch, I had a short hilly bike ride in P.V. My 5K time was 39min and 14 sec. Not too bad considering I walked the first mile, and then jogged the rest. Better than the 55min 5K in P.V. 3 weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment