Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Better Swim

I had a coached swim workout last night. It went much better than my last coached swim 2 weeks ago. (Unfortunately I missed last week's coached session because of last minute changes at work due to a colleague's sick call.) I was a little worried that my swimming will s**k again because I hadn't spent as much time in the pool last week. I actually kept up with my ironteammates in the medium speed lane, at least until I started to fatigue about half hour into the workout. I concentrated on "gliding" and trying to cover more distance per stroke. I also worked on pulling more water per stroke. And I kept my head down. My speed definitely improved.
Towards the end my calves started to cramp up. I had to get out of the pool and stretch for a couple minutes before resuming the swim. Coach stressed the importance of hydration. He recommended that I massage / work out the tension in the calves when I get home.
Today, I'm planning on tackling the hills of PV again for a 90 min ride. I can't wait to get off work and jump on my bike.

2 comments: