Saturday, January 10, 2009

Windy Brick Workout

Wow. Today we had a 3 hour bike ride at Westlake Village again. This time, in addition to the hills, we had to deal with a strong headwind. The weather advisory warned of wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph. I don't know how strong the gusts were, but I was nearly blown into the opposite traffic lane while coming downhill at 41 mph. That was more thrills than I ever want to experience again. I saw on the evening news that a semi was blown over by wind gusts of 80 mph!!!
After the ride, we had a quick 20 min run. Again the legs were a little heavy and sluggish at first, but I found my running legs after 5 minutes. One of the mentors warned me not to run too fast too quickly off the bike. She's probably right; I can see the potential for injury or cramps.
I felt good about hydration and nutrition today. I used a Camel-bak hydration system, and it worked well. It definitely encouraged me to drink more frequently than I did last week using just the water bottle.
Today I car-pooled to the work-out, and it was nice. I got a chance to meet an Ironteam-mate, and it made the commute more pleasant.
Well, believe it or not, after a quick lunch, I am now at work for a 16 hr shift. This is taking endurance training to the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment