Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's day Rose Parade Run

I started off 2009 with a 10 miler this morning along the Rose Parade route in Pasadena, CA.  I found out about this run from my Iron teammate Louis Kwan's blog.  Apparently this run was started a few years ago by "Godfather" Sean and Jimmy Dean.  Starting at about 5am from the end of the Rose Parade route, we run to the start of the parade route in Downtown Pasadena.  We check out all the floats before the parade start and then return along the route to where we began the run a few hours earlier.  (  the end of the actual Parade route)
This was my first time running this route.  In fact this was my first time at the Rose Parade despite living in So Cal for over 10 years.  I was amazed to see so many people sleeping on the sidewalks in sleeping bags.  Many groups had a fire over a grill to keep warm during the night.  When we started at 5am, most people were still sleeping.  A few people cheered us on and encouraged us to run faster.  As I passed the numerous Starbucks, I noticed long lines.  Many of the Reserved bleachers were still empty.  When we got to the start where the floats were lined up, we walked, took pictures, and just marveled at the beauty that surr ounded us.  The flowers were so colorful and vibrant.  It made me glad to be out there this early on New Year's Day.  
The return trip was a little anti-climatic.  The streets were more crowded.  The reserved bleachers were filling up.  There was more traffic congestion.  Most people ignored me as I ran by.  I did get a few smiles that cheered me up.  By the end I was a little tired, but I felt energized about 2009.  This will be the year that I become an Ironman!  How cool is that?

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! You have done great to do that many marathons! Wow. And thanks for doing TNT, what a great cause it is. I guess this is your first event for TNT? Anyhow you will have a great time.

    I am trying to make the transition from walking to running and am struggling a bit finding a pace that (a) feels comfortable and (b) I can maintain for more than a mile without being totally winded. I always run for a while then shift back to walking. Any advice?

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alexander - thanks for the comments on my blog and for the ideas. I would like to get stronger at running - I am very strong walker but running just seems harder. So I appreciate the ideas. Good luck with your quest! Happy New Year. Art

    ReplyDelete